We walked and pulled the handcarts about 30 miles in three days. The days were nice and hot, and the nights were nice and cold. Especially the second night, I was wet from being out in the rain, I didn't think I would ever get warm again! (The first night had some crazy, crazy winds, and we thought the tents would fall over. I guess that was just preparing us for the second night of wind, thunder, lightning, and rain.)
We were able to see where the pioneers of the Martin Handcart Company stayed to protect themselves a little more from the winter. It was a very spiritual experience, and I'm so grateful that I was able to be a part of it. It gave me an even greater appreciation for the early Saints and the hardships they suffered to establish what we are blessed with today.
We also participated in the Woman's Pull. This is a tiny glimpse into what the women endured when all the men were asked to join the Battalion to assist in the Mexican War. It was a very short distance we pulled, but it was up a pretty steep incline. The men were standing on both sides at the top, and I was very touched and emotional when I looked at them and saw the emotion on their faces and that they all had taken their hats off as they watched us go up the hill.
I realized in the last couple of weeks that one of the reasons I needed to go on Trek was because I needed to be reminded of how blessed I am, and the good life I have. I knew I needed to be more grateful for my wonderful children. They didn't get to come with, (Livia stayed with a sister-in-law and Sam stayed with Jason's parents. Thanks so much Ashlee and Mom and Dad!!) and it was hard to be away from both of them for three days. I am so grateful for them and the joy they bring to my life.
5 comments:
Ahhh, Trek...What a tough, frustrating, wonderful experience! I am glad you got to go so early in your married life; I think you will draw on those experiences for many years to come. You both make great looking pioneers, by the way!
Hugs,
Karla
Wow! I'm so glad that you guys were able to go. Thanks for sharing some of your experiences. I hope I'll have that opportunity someday.
I went on the trek in 2006 as a "Ma." You were there, right, Karla? Rick wasn't able to go, but it would have been fun to have him along. I agree, it was a very uplifting and spiritual experience. I would LOVE to be able to do it again as a Ma, now that I know what is going on. I'd be a better Ma the second time around. Sometimes I think that in real life too, hehe. Poor Chelsea is just my experiment kid. The next one will get the real mothering. ;)
Those are some good looking pioneers!
I am jealous that you got to go on a trek. Our ward here in sacramento is participating the the trek here this week. They told us we could go but we were unable to find a babysitter and were totally bummed out!!
We will be leaving on Aug 15th. If you get anywhere near Rexburg for your friends wedding, let me know and we will make it work out. I would LOVE to see you!!!
Post a Comment