Tuesday, October 6, 2009

tender hearts


Yesterday and today, I have felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for my 2 sweet children. Maybe it was hearing the words at General Conference, maybe it was a softening of my own heart, or maybe I'm starting to see these 2 sweet spirits for the children of God that they really are.
I have had several moments that I have neared tears and I can't even express in words the joy I feel that I have been blessed and entrusted with these 2 beautiful angels.
I want to share a few moments, mostly so that I don't forget them, but you're welcome to read them and look for these special moments in your own families as well.

  • Yesterday, Sam went outside to see if his friends could play. I wanted to watch to make sure he went inside his friend's house before I went back inside. As he was walking down the driveway, he turned back to look at me, and smiled, then blew me a kiss and smiled again. As he walked around the cul-de-sac, he occasionally looked back at me and smiled and waved.
  • When I am sitting at the computer, Livia will scoot over to me, and pull herself up to stand beside me, and tell me lots of baby stories, and rest her head on my lap.
  • Last night for Family Home Evening, Sam wanted to sing I am a Child of God. As he was singing the words, he sang with so much love and gusto, I could hardly play the piano, because I was so close to crying. It was so sweet to hear him sing such beautiful words.
  • This morning, Livia took a shower with me. She just sat on the floor of the tub and played with toys. I looked down at her at one point and she was just laughing and splashing and loving life. I was filled with so much love and appreciation that she is my little girl. Then to top it off, she looked up at me and gave me a huge toothy grin.
  • Sam and I played Dodge Bear yesterday. It consisted of each of us throwing a teddy bear at each other. It was so fun to watch him laugh and hide and throw and tell me every time I missed him, or when I was "so cwose!" to getting him.
  • Livia loves to be in her walker, she can keep up with anyone as long as they are on the main level of the house. I love when she chases me around and 'talks' to me while I cook or do the dishes. It's even ok that her favorite word is da-da.
  • A favorite game of Sam's is after we say our bedtime family prayer, he says to me (or Jason) "Guess what?" And we say, "What?" And he says, "I... wuv... my... MOMMY!" Or sometimes he'll say, "You're my favorite pal!" He will do it as many times as he can too.
  • One of the highlights of my day is when I go into Livia's room to get her after she wakes up. When she sees me, she usually tries to hide in her blankets or at least tries to hide her face and then looks at me and smiles and does it again.
  • I love asking Livia for kisses and then getting 'kisses' by her leaning her head in with her mouth wide open.
I'm realizing then when my heart is softened, anything they do can melt my heart. I just watched Livia hit her foot with her shoe like she was trying to put it on and I was so touched by her innocence and simplicity.
I am so blessed to have these children in my home and family. I am so grateful that I have a husband that is such a wonderful father to them. I truly am living the life I have always dreamed of living.

3 comments:

Carolina said...

gracias por tus palabras tan tiernas!me emocionan!Todas las bendiciones que tienes es porque eres una maravillosa persona y te las mereces!! Ahora con mi bebita puedo comprender la bendicion que es ser madre! amo cada cosa que hace! tienes una hermosa familia y tan especiales hijos! son bellos! te quiero
besos

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

I LOVE all of these stories and feel the same way about my family! It's amazing how you can have these "overflowing" moments that make everything else fade away and make you realize what's really important! I'm so thankful for eternal families!

Yomama said...

Now THAT is a beautiful post. I felt like all the best of Sally Ann was right there in the words of love about your life, husband and children. Thanks for your eloquence, and for sharing it here!
Sure love ya,
Karla