Sunday, May 24, 2009

uno, dos, TRES

Sam turned 3!! To celebrate we had a little birthday party for him and invited several of his little friends and close-in-age cousins. (There were a lot of little boys running around.)

While we waited for all the guests to arrive we had lots of fun kicking and hitting all the balloons around the house. (I forgot to pull out my camera for that.) Kids can be so easily entertained when balloons are available.

Then, because of the rain, we couldn't go outside, so we moved out to the garage to beat up a horse.


Sam has seen pinatas before, but is still learning the principle of it. (I hope he doesn't carry that into other aspects of his life... hitting to get a prize is not something most parents want their kid to learn...)



My favorite part is how his cousin Andrew is cheering him on. He is the little cutie in red off to the left side of the video.


Who said pinatas are just for kids?



He might try to tell you he was just 'helping out' but I think we all know better than that.


You should have seen how many 3 year-olds he beat off to get those pieces of candy.


After gathering all the toys and candy, we went back inside to sing Happy Birthday and eat some cake. All the boys were excited for the cake and presents.



Jason gave me a hard time all day because of all the time I spent on his cake. Pretty much the only thing I remember about birthdays when I was little was that my mom always made us awesome cakes. I've been wanting to take a cake decorating class for a couple of years for this very reason. I want my kids to have fun birthday cakes... and I want to be the one to make them for them. So this was my first attempt. For the most part it turned out the way I wanted, except for the engine, but from a distance it looks ok. So, I'm happy about the result, but I still want to take a class. (I WILL TAKE A CLASS. Someday.... anyone interested in joining me?)


The important thing is that Sam loved his cake, but since he loves choo-choos, I am not surprised.


I guess he was a little anxious to get on with it...



Maybe he'll stay involved with the singing for his 4th birthday....

We let him blow out the candles a few more times.


It's fun now that he understands a little more about opening presents. He actually looks forward to it. He hasn't completely got down the idea of showing his excitement once it's opened though... we're still working on that. Afterward, he always shows a bit more enthusiasm. He loved all his gifts. (Thanks everyone, you're all very nice.)





Here is the after-party. It looks more like a mini date, but whatever.



And this has nothing to do with Sam or his birthday, but it is just way too cute to not post. (Plus I actually got permission from Justin and Megan to put this on my blog.)



What a doll.

10 comments:

Leah said...

Hi Sally,
You probably don't remember me, but I'm Alan and Ana's daughter. I just wanted to tell you how adorable your kids are! Seriously, they are CUTE! Also, one of the counselors in my ward's bishopric quoted your father-in-law in a talk today. As always, I heard his name and turned to my roommates and proudly stated how "His son married a girl from my home ward!" And now that I've been reading your blog, I add on, "And they have the cutest kids ever!"
Take care,
Leah

TPlayer said...

Ok before I even scrolled down and saw pictures of Justin, I knew that was him knocking the pinata around. I think my favorite part was the fact that Andrew started crying watching his Dad beat the poor thing. Ha ha! Sam is adorable, the cake is beautiful and yes.."Oh Baby" made me laugh. You're a great Mommy!

Dan Jones said...

Very cute cake, and creative too. You did a good job. As for the uno, dos, tres thing, Emmalynn has been counting in Spanish constantly since you left on Thursday!! (except she gets stuck on six/seis. It's pretty funny. Good Job Sammy on turning 3!!!

Giggles said...

Yeah! Happy birthday Sam!

Becca said...

Darling cake! It's amazing just how long those darn things can take, though. And for something you're just going to eat! I figure they can enjoy the pictures throughout their lives, right? :) Happy Birthday to Sam!

Alisa F. said...

YES. I will totally take a cake decorating class with you! :) I think BYU actually does a class every once in awhile for relatively inexpensive - I've thought about doing it several times, but never do. Your cake turned out great! I'm impressed. I looked at the cake and thought you had already taken the class! So way to go!

Aaron and Carolyn said...

So, I would totally be interested in taking a cake decorating class with you but the long distance drive would probably be a problem :)
Your cake looks really great though and the party looked like fun.

When I print off my blogs I just copy and paste them onto a word document and then print them off. They are not as cute as on the blog- the back grounds don't print and things like that. Just the pictures and the words but they are still fun to have.

Justin said...

Wow! I feel so popular after looking at your blog. I think I made it into at least half of the pictures! Oh Baby!

KayStar said...

you are such a cute mom, so creative, wanna do something creative and fun for my kids? i just feel i don't have time.....i just need to get in teh grove of things again.

Unknown said...

Justin made it in the pictures more than me... Where was I? You can't be going on dates with Justin, Sally.