Wednesday, December 23, 2009

silent prayers

One year ago today was a difficult day for me. It was the day that my carelessness lost me my engagement, wedding, and anniversary rings.

Looking at them on my hands now, I am thinking again of how blessed I am to have them returned to me. It is a reminder that there are still good people out there who are eager to answer another's prayers.

I want to share a short portion of this month's Visiting Teaching Message from the Ensign by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf:
Disciples of Christ throughout all ages of the world have been distinguished by their compassion..... In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance. Let us open our eyes and see the heavy hearts, notice the loneliness and despair; let us feel the silent prayers of others around us, and let us be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to answer those prayers.

What have I (or you) done lately to answer the silent prayer of another? There are so many opportunities available.... if we but open our eyes and listen with our hearts.

This week, as we celebrate our Savior's birth, let's all take an extra second to listen for a silent prayer... and then cheerfully do what we can to answer it.

No comments: