Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I spy. Finally.

I love starting projects.

And even more so... I love when I actually finish them!

In Relief Society (I'm embarrassed to admit this, but probably about 1.5 - 2 years ago) we did an activity to make I spy quilts. It involved 12 women who each brought 12 squares of 12 different fabrics (for a total of 144 squares per person.) Then we each swapped, giving one of each fabric square to all the others.

The night of the activity was spent cutting out the squares, then we were on our own. Oh, 2009, you seem so long ago...

But I sewed them all together shortly after, and even added a couple more rows of extra fabric I had at home. I sewed a back for it. I bought the batting. And I put it all nicely in a bag. Where it has stayed for a long time.

And last night, I did it. I finished it! Why did it take me so long to put it all together? Well, because I'm me. :)


The cool thing about I spy quilts is each square is accompanied by a little card with a piece of the same fabric on it. And you play little games with it. You can separate the cards and each team has to find its match, or you can do games with different colors or pictures. I was given a whole stack of papers with games to play with it. (Now I just need to find where I put the game ideas and the little laminated cards...)


When I was making the back, I was going to have to piece it anyway, so I decided to add an extra game back there. What kid doesn't love tic-tac-toe? I made little cards with Xs and Os as well.

So now I guess I just need to teach my kiddos how to actually play tic-tac-toe....

2 comments:

Jill said...

ooohhh, I might steal this idea. Very cute. Good job Sal.

Jared and Allyson said...

Wow - Great job! That quilt is so cute and I'm so impressed with your sewing abilities. What a great mommy and homemaker you are. Good job!